Hot sausage and succulent shrimp marry well smothered in a spicy Parmesan cream sauce atop of bed of rigatoni.
Doesn’t that just look absolutely delicious?
My college girlfriend and I were having dinner together to catch up. We usually dine Italian where we can get our pasta served with the most creative ingredients.
I ordered the sausage and shrimp rigatoni in a spicy Parmesan cream sauce and it was fantastic.
I love to try to re-create recipes I’ve enjoyed dining out. Pasta is easy to work with because it goes with so many different ingredients.
It’s hard to mess up. And most pasta recipes are kid friendly. This recipe was easy to replicate.
How to make Sausage and Shrimp Rigatoni
Spicy bits of ground hot sausage and sweet shrimp get dunked in a spicy Parmesan cream sauce for a real Italian treat.
Less than 30 minutes from pantry to table, this recipe it’s perfect for a mid week family meal or dinner for two.
Rigatoni holds creamy sauces extremely well. Penne pasta would also work well with this recipe.
Sweet red bell peppers add color and contrast perfectly with the bite from the sauce.
This Parmesan cream sauce is the perfect balance between cream and tomatoes. I used marinara because I had an open jar in my fridge.
But canned crushed or diced tomatoes would work just as well.
If sausage is not your thing be sure to try my Chicken & Wild Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo or Angel Hair Pasta with Pancetta, Pine Nuts and Chicken.
If you prefer a meaty red sauce then look no further than my Meat Lover’s Tomato Sauce.
If you love pasta as much as I do be sure to follow me on Pinterest for all my latest recipes.
Hungry for more?
Pin this recipe on Pinterest!
Flip this recipe on Flipboard!
Sausage & Shrimp Rigatoni in a Spicy Parmesan Cream Sauce
- 1/2 box rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup hot Italian sausage, 2 links removed from casing
- 1/2 cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup tomato marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup butter, 1 stick
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the rigatoni pasta according to the box directions. Drain and set aside.In a large skillet heat the olive oil and add the onion. Sauté at medium high heat for three minutes.
- Add the sausage and brown, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and red bell pepper and sauté 3 minutes until the bell pepper has softened.In a separate small pot stir the cream, butter, Parmesan cheese, marinara, and spices over medium heat and allow to simmer and bubble.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes until pink. Stir in the cream sauce and pasta and allow to simmer for a few minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.