Disclosure: I was asked to participate in the #betterbowl18 campaign as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I was compensated for my time.
Serve up my version of shrimp and “grits” to start the morning with this easy and savory breakfast bowl.
For this recipe, I used old-fashioned oat bran hot cereal as an alternative to grits.
Both are popular choices for a hot breakfast but Hodgkin Mill Oat Bran Hot Cereal is my new favorite choice.
While it’s similar to oatmeal it is higher in fiber and protein but lower in calories.
It’s an easy choice for building a better breakfast bowl. Sweet or savory, the options are endless.
For this weekend’s breakfast I wanted something a little different. While fried eggs were an obvious choice I was craving shrimp.
Shrimp is also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, low in calories yet high in protein.
The inspiration for this idea came from my favorite shrimp and grits recipe.
The result was so tasty and also would be delicious for dinner any night of the week.
What’s the difference between oat bran and oatmeal?
Oat bran only contains the bran of the seed, which means it is not a complete whole grain. Rolled oats, also called oatmeal, comes from whole oat groats, which are whole grains, and are flattened to flakes.
What does oat bran hot cereal taste like? It’s similar to cream of wheat or grits but it’s a bit heartier.
That’s because it’s full of fiber and will help you feel fuller longer making it easier to stick to your best intentions, and keeping your stomach from rumbling before lunchtime rolls around.
Jazz up your breakfast routine
You can get creative with your oat bran breakfast bowl. Stir in your favorite preserves, fruit, nuts, spices, nut butters and milks. Or top your bowl with shrimp, bacon, sausage and eggs.
Just remember the more liquid you add the creamier the texture.
Oat bran is done cooking in just a minute or two. You can also make up a big batch all at once, then reheat it throughout the week for a quick start to your day or to get dinner on the table fast.
Different ways to use oat bran
Use it instead of oatmeal in your breakfast bowl
Replace breadcrumbs with oat bran to coat chicken
Add it to your breakfast smoothie recipes
Use it to make overnight oats. It’s creamier than regular oatmeal!
Want to try this Shrimp Breakfast Bowl?
Pin them to your Breakfast or Brunch board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Shrimp Breakfast Bowl
- 1/2 cup Hodgson Mill Oat Bran Cereal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined peeled and deveined
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion, garlic and pancetta. Cook until the pancetta has become crispy. Set the pancetta aside to a bowl and add the shrimp to the pan cooking for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until pink. Return the pancetta mixture to the pan and reduce the heat.
- Prepare the oat bran cereal in a small pot. Bring half a cup of oat bran cereal, one cup of water and one cup of milk to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat and cook for a minute or two stirring it occasionally. Finally, stir in half a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and mix until melted.Transfer the cheesy oats bran cereal to two bowls and top with the shrimp mixture and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.