Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with this delicious 1800 tequila margarita recipe. Elderflower is the new twist on this classic cocktail.
Cinco de Mayo without your favorite margaritas would be a crime.
I love a good margarita that’s made with quality ingredients.
So for this recipe I stepped it up a notch by adding elderflower liqueur to these popular Mexican cocktails.
Is it 5 o’clock yet?
Margaritas are an easy and festive salt-kissed drink anytime and they are really perfect for a special occasion.
After all, who really needs an excuse to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?
Enjoying dinner with the neighbors is something my family regularly does once the weather warms.
On the menu were jerk fish tacos with a mango cilantro salsa.
The dish called for fun margaritas as an accompaniment.
My traditional margarita includes an orange liqueur like Grand Marnier.
Now that’s a pricey bottle of liquor.
With a full bottle of St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur on the shelf we found the perfect substitution for a simple syrup and a little goes a long way.
As always my margaritas have a secret ingredient that brings out the best flavor in this tequila cocktail.
Powdered sugar dissolved into the lime citrus juices adds the right amount of sweetness to this perfect drink.
Powdered sugar makes a perfect substitute for agave syrup or agave nectar.
What kind of tequila should I use for a classic margarita
Blanco tequila or reposado tequila are both a premium tequila and a good choice for the perfect margarita.
Using blanco or silver tequila, will give your margarita an agave forward flavor. Reposado tequila will yield a smoother drinking cocktail.
Head to the local liquor store or grocery. Many grocery stores have liquor departments where you can purchase tequila as well as the other simple ingredients for this easy recipe.
After picking up the Elderflower liqueur and tequila, I will head to the produce department for a bag of fresh limes.
Skip the sour mix or the bottled mix if you want the best margarita.
Get into the Mexican spirit with these delicious side dishes
- CILANTRO LIME GRILLED CHICKEN
- EASY CILANTRO LIME BLACK BEAN AND RICE RECIPE
- PULLED PORK TACOS (PORK CARNITAS)
Click for more WHAT TO SERVE WITH MARGARITAS (15 EASY MEXICAN RECIPES) or CINCO DE MAYO FIESTA – 15 TAPAS, TACOS AND OTHER MEXICAN RECIPES
The Best 1800 Tequila Elderflower Margarita
- 1 ounce St. Germain Elderflower liqueur
- 2 ounces 1800 Tequila Silver
- 3 ounces fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Kosher salt
- Lime wheels or wedges
- Pour enough kosher salt on a plate.
- Use a citrus juicer to squeeze enough fresh lime juice.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of a rocks glass or two. Dip the rim of the glass in the kosher salt.
- Fill each glass with fresh ice, crushed or cubed.
- Using a cocktail shaker, mix together the St. Germain, tequila, lime juice and powdered sugar.
- Shake well and pour the mixture into the glasses.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or wheel.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!