Slow Cooker Apple Cider Chicken simmers in the crockpot all day resulting in tender fall off the bone chicken.
Enjoy this original recipe on busy weeknights when you want dinner on the table quickly.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read our disclosure policy.
It’s that time of year to pull out the sweaters and the crock pot and pick up that delicious apple cider now that it’s available and easy to find.
I look forward to the cooler months for the simple reason that I can find apple cider available in my grocery store.
Delicious chilled or hot, apple cider is the perfect balance between sweet and tart.
Aside from drinking it, I also love to use apple cider as a cooking liquid and for baking.
It use it in pancakes, muffins and of course for crock pot chicken in cider.
It adds the sweet taste of fall-picked apples to any dish you serve.
This slow cooker apple cider chicken is one of those “set it and forget it” recipes that is perfect for busy weekdays.
It’s a gluten-free, low fat healthy dinner the whole family will love.
Ingredients for Apple Cider Chicken
- Apple cider
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh rosemary
How to make apple cider chicken (crockpot recipe)
- Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- Layer the pieces on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- If you have extra time to spare, take a couple of minutes to brown the chicken in a sauce pan on medium-high heat for about five minutes before placing in a crockpot to finish cooking.
- Mix together a marinade of apple cider, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper and pour cider mixture over the chicken.
- Cook the chicken according to your slow cooker instructions or until it’s tender.
- Serve the chicken with crusty bread and a salad or shred the chicken pieces and serve on buns for your very own apple cider pulled chicken sandwiches.
Can I put raw chicken in a slow cooker
Yes. It’s meant just for that and more. Crock pots are designed to create low temperature heat over a longer time to thoroughly cook raw meats.
Frozen meat can also go in the crockpot. Just make sure to cook it slow and low until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
How long will chicken take to cook in a crockpot
Cook the chicken on low for 6-8 hours or 4-6 hours on high until the chicken is cooked through.
Can I use apple juice if I don’t have apple cider?
Unsweetened apple juice used in place of apple cider will result in excessive sweetness.
Stick to apple cider when called for.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SLOW COOKER CHICKEN
- Pre-bagged salad or a quick apple slaw
- Microwaved, mashed or baked sweet potatoes
- Ancient Grains Salad with Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Rosemary Hasselback Potatoes
- Maple Cayenne Butternut Squash with Pancetta & Pecans
Easy Slow Cooker Apple Cider Chicken Recipe
- 6 – 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Place the chicken thighs on the bottom of a crockpot. Season chicken thighs or breasts generously with salt and pepper.
- (Optional – Brown the chicken in a tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat for three minutes a side before placing into the crockpot.)
- Use a small bowl to mix together the cider, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, vinegar and olive oil.
- Pour apple cider marinade and fresh rosemary over the chicken, cover and set the crockpot to low heat and allow the chicken to cook for 6 to 8 hours cooking time.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to plates or shred chicken and serve the shredded chicken on buns.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!