Slow Cooker Apple Cider Chicken simmers in the crockpot all day resulting in tender fall off the bone chicken.
I look forward to the cooler months for the simple reason that I can find apple cider available in my grocery store.
Delicious chilled or hot, apple cider is the perfect balance between sweet and tart.
Aside from drinking it, I also love to use apple cider when cooking and baking.
It use it in pancakes, muffins and of course for crockpot chicken.
It adds the sweet taste of fall-picked apples to any dish you serve.
This slow cooker apple cider chicken is one of those “set it and forget it” recipes that is perfect for busy weekdays.
It’s a gluten-free, low fat healthy dinner.
How to make slow cooker chicken
Use boneless and skinless chicken.
Layer the pieces on the bottom of your slow cooker.
If you have extra time to spare, brown the chicken in a sauce pan for about five minutes before placing in a crockpot to finish cooking.
Mix together a marinade of apple cider, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper and pour over the chicken.
Cook the chicken until it’s tender.
How long will chicken take in a slow cooker
Cook the chicken on low for 6 hours or 3 to 4 hours on high until the chicken is cooked through.
Can I use apple juice if I don’t have apple cider?
Unsweetened apple juice used in place of apple cider will result in excessive sweetness. Stick to apple cider when called for.
What to serve with slow cooker chicken
Pre-bagged salad or coleslaw mix
Microwaved, mashed or baked sweet potatoes
Slow Cooker Apple Cider Chicken
- 6 - 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Place the chicken thighs on the bottom of a crockpot. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over the chicken.
- (Optional - Brown the chicken in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat for three minutes a side before placing into the crockpot.)
- Used a small bowl to mix together the cider, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, vinegar and olive oil. Pour the marinade and fresh rosemary over the chicken, cover and set the crockpot to low and allow the chicken to cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to plates or shred the chicken for sandwiches and serve on buns.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!