Learn how to make this delicious cheesy zucchini casserole in under an hour. Your family and friends will be gobbling down this tasty side dish and will be asking for your recipe.
Zucchini is one of those versatile vegetables that can be used in a variety of dishes, from salads and soups to breads and muffins.
But one of the best ways to enjoy this summer squash is in an old fashioned zucchini casserole that’s easy to make and full of flavor.
This cheesy zucchini casserole is a great way to use up your garden zucchini or the ones you find at the farmers market.
It’s also a family friendly dish that everyone will love, even the picky eaters.
The best part is, you can whip up this casserole in under an hour, with just a handful of ingredients and minimal prep work.
All you need is some zucchini, cheese, butter, sour cream and panko breadcrumbs.
You can also customize it with your favorite cheeses or add some meat or other veggies for extra protein and texture.
This easy casserole recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner, a family reunion potluck or a brunch.
It’s cheesy, creamy and satisfying, and it goes well with any main course or side dish.
Plus, it makes great leftovers that you can reheat or enjoy cold.
So grab your zucchini and get ready to make this delicious and easy zucchini casserole that will become your new favorite way to eat zucchini!
How do I avoid making a watery zucchini casserole?
A common problem with zucchini casserole is that it can turn out watery because zucchini has a lot of excess liquid. Here are the best tips for a delicious casserole.
- Cut the zucchini into thick slices and toss it with salt. Let it sit for 10 to 30 minutes, then squeeze out the excess water with a paper towel.
- Roast the zucchini in the oven before adding it to the casserole. This will help dry out some of the liquid and also add some flavor.
- Steam the zucchini which helps release some of the moisture.
- Sauté the zucchini in olive oil or butter until softened.
- Add a binding ingredient to the casserole, such as eggs, cheese, cream or flour. This will help thicken the sauce and hold the zucchini together.
- Use a shallow baking dish and spread the zucchini mixture evenly. This will help the casserole cook faster and more evenly.
- Cover the casserole with foil for the first half of the baking time, then uncover it for the second half. This will prevent the top from burning and allow some steam to escape.
Gather a list of simple ingredients next time you head to the grocery store. Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy side dish.
Salt and pepper
How to make the best zucchini casserole recipe?
Slice the zucchini into round slices.
Sauté the onions and zucchini squash in a skillet until tender then transfer the veggies to a baking dish.
Make the cheesy sauce using sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar and Parmesan cheese.
Spread the mixture over the top spreading it to the edges of the baking dish.
Top the dish with bread crumbs and bake it in a 375 degree F oven until golden brown and cheesy!
Get the full recipe card below.
What are some other variations to this zucchini bake recipe?
There are many ways to vary this cheesy casserole, depending on your preferences and what you have on hand. Here are some suggestions.
Add different herbs and spices, such as garlic, Italian seasonings, fresh thyme, rosemary or red pepper flakes.
Use different cheeses, such as white cheddar, smoked gouda, pepper jack, or gruyere.
Include a protein, such as cooked chicken, ham, bacon or sausage.
Add other vegetables, such as yellow squash, bell pepper, mushrooms or spinach.
Use a different topping, such as crushed buttery crackers, potato chips or French fried onions.
What main dish can I serve with this squash casserole
A zucchini casserole is a versatile dish that can go well with many different main courses and sides.
Serve it with roasted red potatoes, simple biscuits or easy coleslaw for a hearty and satisfying meal.
Include it with fresh fruit, turkey breakfast sausage, or scrambled eggs for a delicious brunch.
Serve it alongside other side dishes like roasted sweet potatoes, cauliflower casserole or cheesy green beans on any holiday table.
More great recipes using zucchini
- EASY BANANA ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPE WITH PECANS
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
- EASY BAKED STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS RECIPE
- CHICKEN & ZUCCHINI BURGERS
- GRILLED ZUCCHINI WITH FETA & PINE NUTS
The Best Zucchini Casserole Recipe with Sour Cream
- 1 shallow baking dish
- 1 large skillet
- 1 small bowl
- 1 sharp knife
- 4 cups sliced zucchini two medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- Dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the zucchini into thin rounds and sauté in a large skillet over medium heat with the diced onions in the melted butter and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Sprinkle kosher salt over the zucchini and allow it to brown for 8-10 minutes or until the rounds start to brown.
- Transfer the cooked zucchini and onions to the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, black pepper to taste, Parmesan and cheddar cheeses until well combined.
- Add spoonfuls of the cheesy sour cream mixture over the top of the zucchini casserole and use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture evenly to the edges of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the panko bread crumbs over the zucchini and place in the hot oven.
- Bake the dish for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbly.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container or cover the cooled dish with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!