The original Margarita Recipe is made with the best tequila, fresh limes, course salt and is mixed with a secret ingredient. This fun drink is the classic margarita cocktail for happy hour.
Let’s celebrate Cinco de Mayo the way it was supposed to be celebrated – with the best Margarita!
Fresh lime juice mixed with good-quality tequila and a secret ingredient to deliver the world’s best classic recipe. Arriba!
No simple syrup necessary.
The secret to the best Margaritas in the world is … powdered sugar. That’s right, I said powered sugar. Also known as confectioner’s sugar.
It also helps to have good reposado tequila – like Patron Silver or Jose Cuervo Silver. These brands won’t break the bank.
If you want the best I would recommend El Jimador or Herradura if available at your liquor store.
Skip the cheap bottle of triple sec and go for the addition of an orange flavored liqueur to bind all the flavors in this original margarita.
It’s a splurge you can’t afford to skip. It makes a huge difference in the flavor of this cocktail. While a bit on the pricey side for a bottle, I promise it will last for a long time.
Fresh squeezed lime juice is essential for this recipe.
We discovered these Margaritas through trial and error after always asking for the recipe from our favorite chain of Mexican restaurants, yet being turned down every time.
Our creation is pretty close. Yum.
How to Make this Classic Margarita Recipe
First, you’ll need a few simple ingredients to make this original margarita recipe.
- Blanco Tequila or any good quality tequila
- A bag of fresh limes, squeezed fresh
- Grand Marnier or Cointreau from the liquor store
- Coarse salt or sea salt
- Powdered sugar
- Lime wheels
- Ice cubes, preferable crushed
To make this original recipe, use a cocktail shaker to measure out the parts tequila and orange liqueur into a large pitcher. Add the sugar and lime juice and mix well. Use a lime wedge to wet the glass rims
of each glass. Dip rims of the glasses into a small plate of salt and pour the mixture into each glass.
If you don’t have margarita glasses, use a mason jar or rocks glass or any cocktail glass. Garnish with a piece of lime. Enjoy!
Be sure to try my other margarita recipe, the Silver Elderflower Margarita. It features elderflower liqueur in place of powdered sugar.
What to serve with Margaritas
- AUTHENTIC PEACH PICO DE GALLO
- BEEF BURRITO BOWLS WITH LEFTOVER BRISKET
- CILANTRO LIME GRILLED CHICKEN
Be sure to get the entire list of delicious side dishes to serve with Margaritas What to Serve with Margaritas (15 Easy Mexican Recipes)
The Original Margarita Recipe (How to Make this Classic Cocktail)
- 9 shots freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 shots of quality top shelf silver tequila
- 4 shots of Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 1.5 cups of powdered sugar
- Crushed ice
- Kosher salt to rim the glass
- Lime slices or wedges
- Run a wedge of lime around each glass and coat in kosher salt. In a pitcher, pour in the lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur and powdered sugar and mix the ingredients until the sugar has dissolved completely. Pour over ice in salt rimmed glasses.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!