This tomato arugula salad is loaded with sweet summer tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and fresh grown basil.
I love summer time for the sweetest tomatoes available no other time of the year.
This salad pairs fresh and spicy arugula greens with super sweet grape or cherry tomatoes.
Have you ever tried growing your own tomatoes? They are sweeter when you can pull them off the vine. There is nothing like biting into a homegrown heirloom tomato or popping multiple minis in your mouth.
You know what I’m talking about, right?
I grow my own container tomatoes right on my patio. This is an easy way to have fresh, sweet tomatoes on hand during the summer months.
For this salad I chose spicier salad greens, specifically arugula.
What does arugula taste like?
Nothing like spring, spinach or romaine. The flavor is quite peppery and delicious when paired with something sweet, like summer tomatoes.
Stick with baby arugula, otherwise it can be quite bitter and overwhelming if it’s the only green in your salad.
What kind of tomatoes should I use for this tomato arugula salad?
If you are not growing your own tomatoes, you can buy home grown tomatoes fresh from the farm stand or farmers market.
If the grocery is your only option, grab a fresh container of Campari tomatoes or select a medley of the petite snacking variety.
Can I add other ingredients to this tomato arugula salad?
Absolutely! This is one of those recipes that can be altered with any variation of salad ingredients.
Corn. Slice fresh corn kernels off the cob. Corn adds a sweet crunch.
Cucumber. This little sweet flavor of cucumber is a perfect complement to the spicy arugula.
Red onion. A little zing goes along way.
Avocado. A creamy avocado has healthy fats and is loaded with essential nutrients and vitamins.
Love Tomatoes? Try these delicious summer ideas!
- Tomatoes Caprese Salad
- Grilled Eggplant with a Tomato Caprese
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Summer Corn Salad – Healthy and Easy to Make
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Tomato arugula salad
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, yellow, orange and red, halved
- 3 ounces baby arugula, about 4 cups
- 1 container Ciliegine mozzarella balls
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the arugula in a large serving bowl and drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil. Season the arugula with fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of salt.
- Toss the tomatoes and mozzarella with 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and season with a sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Spoon the tomatoes over the arugula and drizzle with more olive oil and balsamic vinegar as needed.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Sharing easy recipes to help you be more confident in the kitchen.
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!