This wild rice salad with carrots, toasted pecans, crunchy pepitas and sweet cranberries can be ready in 20 minutes and it’s delicious anytime of the year.
Wild rice is nutty and hearty and is delicious on any kind of salad greens.
Did I mention it’s high in protein and a great way to get your daily vitamins.
This wild rice salad with carrots, dried fruit, seeds and nuts is an ideal side dish or summer salad for any barbecue or potluck.
It also makes a welcome addition to any holiday table.
If you’re trying to eat healthier this salad is a great choice and keeps well in the fridge for several days.
It can be served cold, at room temperature or slightly warm.
How to make wild rice salad:
To make this healthy side dish, you’ll need a large bowl.
- Add the cooked and cooled wild rice. Make the rice ahead of time for easy prep. There are also 5- minute variety rice blends available to help cut prep time.
- Mix in the carrots. My grocer sells precut matchstick carrots that are the perfect size for the salad. Grab a pack.
- Add cranberries, pecans and pepitas. Check the grocery produce section for blended bags of seeds, nuts and dried fruits to reduce prep time.
- Make the dressing. This salad dressing consists of four simple ingredients – apple cider vinegar, a shallot, honey and olive oil.
- Mix well and serve. Drizzle the dressing over the rice mixture and served over a bed of your choice of greens.
Variations to this wild rice salad:
- Veggies: While matchstick carrots make for easy prep, other veggies including cubes of roasted sweet potato, corn or sweet bell peppers work just as well.
- Dried fruit: raisins, dates or dried cherries would all be delicious in place of cranberries.
- Nuts and seeds: sunflower seeds, almonds or pistachios would be delicious on the salad.
- Greens: Spicy arugula, tender spinach or crunchy kale are all great power green options.
More healthy side dishes you will love
- Couscous with grilled vegetables, lemon and goat cheese
- Ancient grains salad with roasted veggies
- Summer sweet corn salad
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Wild Rice Salad
and sweet cranberries can be ready in 20 minutes and it’s delicious
anytime of the year.
- 2 cups wild rice or wild rice blend, cooked and cooled
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas
- 3 cups mixed greens, kale, arugula or spinach
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- To make the dressing combine the shallot, honey, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- In a large bowl combine the rice, carrots, pecans, cranberries and pepitas.
- Drizzle the dressing over the rice mixture mixing to combine. Serve the rice mixture over the greens.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!