Easy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Easy to make ahead of time, these simple mashed potatoes will be the most popular dish on your dinner table.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 8-10 Idaho Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup melted butter
Peel, rinse and chop the potatoes into small chunks. Fill a large sauce pan with cold water and season generously with kosher salt.
Place the potatoes in the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a colander then return to the pot. Add the milk before mashing the potatoes with a masher.
Transfer the potatoes to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Before serving, return the potatoes to a pot over medium heat or crockpot on low and add the melted butter.
Stir the potatoes occasionally to fluff and incorporate the butter. Keep warm until serving time
- Do not overcook the potatoes.
- Leaving the boiled potatoes in the water will result in gummy potatoes.
- Allow the potatoes to drain for a few minutes before returning to the pot.
- Do not overmash the potatoes.
- Using a mixer results in gooey potatoes.
- Stick to a potato masher or ricer to create the creamiest potatoes.