Grilled Eggplant with a Tomato Caprese
Nothing spell summer more so than grilled eggplant topped with ripe tomatoes, creamy mozzarella cheese and fresh basil.
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, (about 5 ounces ) chopped into 1/4- inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup loose fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Sprinkle both sides of the eggplant slices with kosher salt and set aside for half an hour. The salt draws out the water in the eggplant.
Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and basil. Add to a serving bowl and add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry with a paper towel. Arrange the slices on a plate and drizzle each side with olive oil and season with red pepper flakes, garlic, oregano and parsley.
Heat the grill to medium heat and cook the eggplant slices for 4-5 minutes, creating a crosshatch of grill marks on each a side. Remove to a platter and spoon the tomato caprese over the eggplant.