Southern-Inspired Shrimp & Grits
A true Southern dish, these shrimp and grits are creamy and cheesy and taste delicious. This easy recipe can be on your table in under 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup instant grits, 5 minute variety 5 minute variety
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of white wine, or water if unavailable
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped Honey Baked ham or Tasso ham
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the grits, season with cracked black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ham and Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Cover to keep warm and remove from heat.
Next, season the shrimp with kosher salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne and cook until the shrimp are pink, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add 2 tablespoons wine, the fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley. Stir until mixed and serve immediately over the grits. Garnish with fresh lemon wedges.