Turn an ordinary banana split into a dessert you could only get at a gourmet restaurant. I promise my Caramelized Plantain Ice Cream Sundae will deliver.
It’s also the perfect dessert for mom. It’s an easy-to-make Mother’s Day recipe that the kids can make with a little help from dad in under 10 minutes.
She won’t believe her eyes when you present her with this one of a kind sweet treat.
Plantains are members of the banana family. Like bananas they taste delicious with ice cream.
Sautéing or roasting brings out the caramelized sweetness of this tropical fruit.
For this recipe I allowed the plantain to reach its full ripeness. I chopped off the ends and slid my fingers under the almost black peel to remove it.
I sliced the plantain into half-inch thick round slices, tossed them in a little coconut sugar and fried them until they were golden brown.
Then I added a sweet mixture of water, apple juice and brown sugar to the hot skillet to create a syrup.
Two scoops of vanilla ice cream on top and a few almond sprinkles and voilà – your ice cream sundae is served!
Make this dessert for mom and I promise she will be impressed. Celebrating Cinco de Mayo?
This sundae would also be delicious to serve to your guests at your next Cinco de Mayo party. Just sub out the 2 tablespoons of apple juice for rum.
Caramelized Plantain Ice Cream Sundae
- 1 very ripe almost black plantain
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Sliced almonds
- Peel the plantain and cut into round slices. In a bowl, toss the slices with the coconut sugar and cinnamon. In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat sauté the plantains in olive oil until they are golden brown and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the water, brown sugar, and juice. Pour the liquid into the skillet and allow it to reduce into a syrup. Transfer the plantains and syrup to a dessert dish. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and sprinkle with slivered almonds.