Turn an ordinary banana split into a dessert you could only get at a gourmet restaurant. I promise my caramelized Plantain Ice Cream Sundae will deliver.
It’s also the perfect dessert for mom. It’s an easy-to-make Mother’s Day recipe that the kids can make with a little help from dad in under 10 minutes.
She won’t believe her eyes when you present her with this one of a kind sweet treat.
Feast your eyes on this delicious Plantain Ice Cream Sundae!
Plantains are members of the banana family. Like bananas they taste delicious with ice cream.
Sautéeing or roasting brings out the caramelized sweetness of this tropical fruit.
How to make a Plantain Ice Cream Sundae
For this recipe I allowed the plantain to reach its full ripeness. I chopped off the ends and slid my fingers under the almost black peel to remove it.
I sliced the plantain into half-inch thick round slices, tossed them in a little coconut sugar and fried them until they were golden brown.
Then I added a sweet mixture of water, apple juice and brown sugar to the hot skillet to create a syrup.
Two scoops of vanilla ice cream on top and a few almond sprinkles and voilà – your ice cream sundae is served!
Make this Mexican dessert for mom and I promise she will be impressed.
What dessert can I serve on Cinco de Mayo?
This sundae would also be delicious to serve to your guests at your next Cinco de Mayo party. Just sub out the 2 tablespoons of apple juice for rum.
Try these delicious recipes for your Cinco de Mayo party!
- Chorizo and Chicken Rice Skillet
- Pico de Gallo – Salsa Fresca
- Cilantro Lime Coconut Rice
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta – 15 Tapas, Tacos and other Mexican Recipes
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Caramelized Plantain Ice Cream Sundae
- 1 very ripe almost black plantain
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Sliced almonds
- Peel the plantain and cut into round slices. In a bowl, toss the slices with the coconut sugar and cinnamon. In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat sauté the plantains in olive oil until they are golden brown and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the water, brown sugar, and juice. Pour the liquid into the skillet and allow it to reduce into a syrup. Transfer the plantains and syrup to a dessert dish. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Sharing easy recipes to help you be more confident in the kitchen.
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!